Thursday 4 October 2007

What are your thoughts about this design?

With still plenty to do, it is important for me to stick to the production chart. Recent modification should allow me to avoid getting distracted, by learning about usability issues that are not necessarily related to the assessment criteria and focus my effort to completing the unit. To complete the unit, I will need to cross reference my work against the assessment criteria and finalise my web plan and evaluation report.

It was gratifying this week to receive some feedback from other learners about my blogs, especially comments to support my sketches. Taking much longer than original expected, please see below my version 6 – screen design with feedback form.



What are your thoughts about this design?

Prompt constructive responses would be very much appreciated.

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Hi Mark, I really like the design... it's clean and effective, but it's still good to look at; I'd say it's a perfect compromise between functionality and aesthetics. I'm not sure who your target audience is but that design seems to be efficient for a wide range of people.

The only possible negative I could pick out is the use of a customised scrollbar... I was reading an article the other day (sorry, can't remember where) criticising these, as some users apparently struggle to identify non-standard scrollbars, etc. I'm not sure I agree with this statement, but I thought I'd point it out!

Craig Burgess said...

Nice design Mark.

Two things I'd suggest though; is music really needed on your website? Many people find it annoying (if it starts up as soon as the website loads up) and it makes the web page take longer to load up.

Secondly, I'd consider making your form fields of varying lengths so people can relate to the kind of information that should be inserted in there. I could talk about form design all day because there's so much to think about, but I would consider putting your tick boxes underneath each other instead of next to each other to make them easier to view.

Maybe consider using legends as well to specify between the two different parts of your form - the tick boxes and the long answer questions.

Finally, spread things out so it looks more airy. It takes a lot for somebody to fill in a form on a website, and you've got to use every presentational trick in the book to make it look like it takes as little effort as possible to fill in.

A link I've found useful many times: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/fancy-form-design-css

James Bell said...

Really impressive designs Mark but I agree with Craig about the use of music on the site.

I also think that the links and the search bar at the top right would look better if they were lined up with the "Captain James Cook" text on the left.

Other than that I think that the designs are really clean and very well structured.

Mark Torrington said...

Craig and Tom,
I have altered the design a stage further taking “onboard” your suggestions. I realised now, how foolish it was of me, to think music might encourage people to use the site. Your comments were really useful and I would appreciate any others you may have - once you have view the new design.