Tuesday 11 December 2007

Preoccupied by pastels

This week I concentrated my efforts in completing my delivery requirements and failed, probably due extensive research into web hosting and comparisons. However, I found a great web host by the end of it. I might even approach my current ISP madasafish.com to transfer my domain name. I would rather find out if I have any problems now rather than later.

The weekly tutorial outlined the areas I need to complete, which to be fair is the majority of the assignment. Thankfully, I have been granted the extension over the Christmas break. Navigation was discussed at my tutorial and the significance of using breadcrumbs. The term Breadcrumb, I feel must come from the story of Hansel and Gretel. While going through the forest, they left breadcrumbs on the way to remember the route. This feature would show the user their current position and allows them to backtrack through the listed links. I will learn more about ASP.NET, if I do decide to integrate it.

I have found myself preoccupied this week, trying to understand the really significant factors associated with pastel colours and old people. Eventually, I realised it is two factors, firstly they are calming and secondly these colours such as Pink, yellow, pale blue and green were fashionable during their teenage years. Deviating from my production plan cost me time in my last project; I really need to stop doing this if I am to keep on track of the assignment.

Disappointed with my current screen design, I feel much work is still required to improve it. I have come to the conclusion that a white background is essential and to avoid four columns if possible. However, I still believe colour coding will improve usability.

Target this week include:
1. Re-align my gantt chart to new deadline
2. Complete Delivery requirements and Competitive Analysis
3. Decide on a screen design and work it up electronically
4. Transfer Domain Name
5. Develop my screen designs further

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Hey Mark,

I think when you talk about using pastel colours you have to ensure that they're not too light. This may impact with usability as contrast may not be at a reasonable level.

Hope you manage to get some designs you're satisfied with and find time over Christmas to get down to your work.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Breadcrumbs are something which I have implemented at the final stage of development. I think that they will be a helpful 'tool' for my target audience to use.

As Tom as said, with your pastel colours you need to be careful that you don't have too little contrast between them and your background. I think the recommended constrast is 70%.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.