Tuesday 4 December 2007

Please feel free to comment

Since the content is divided into 4 equal sections of 10 terms the design should be straightforward. However, in comparison to print production more restrictions are applied to web design. Not only do I have to give the site an appropriate name, but I am also required to make sure that the final design is something I will be able to create, given the fact I have no pervious knowledge or experience using Dreamweaver. Yesterdays tutorial confirmed many of my initial thoughts and the realisation to avoid anything too complicated like rollovers and drop downs.

With the content complete and the domain name decided as "www.alivenclickin.co.uk" the next stage is to create a design solution. After four initial attempts, I feel confident that my final design is ideal. Although I still have reservations over the positioning of the photographs, colours and typefaces. To develop my design further, please feel free to comment the design below:



Hopefully with your help I will be able to improve this initial screen design, which will allow me to concentrate my efforts to the other parts of this assignment.

6 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Your screen designs are always so good to look at, they've very simple but have the users needs in mind.

Do you find it hard having to design something for the web to web accessibility guidelines when in the past you haven't had to consider this as much in your graphic design?

Mark Torrington said...

Yes, I do find it quite challenging. Many of the guidelines associated with web accessibility are adhered to in graphic design in other ways, however file size is never an issue.

I find web design is restrictive, probably due to my in experience using the web design software and the fact that each webpage has to be designing within a 50k target. Until I am more knowledgeable and experienced using the software I will always be frustrated. It is like trying to draw a picture without any hands. I know what I want to create, but I am unable to design it.

Tom Smith said...

In terms of the difficulties you face with things such as file size, I guess you can only wait it out until you get a better grasp with things. It may also become less of an issue in the future, as internet speeds increase, file size may not be as much as an issue.

In terms of your designs, I really like the name... much better than my distinctly average one! I also like the designs- they're definitely build-able, but also retain effective aesthetics.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I have exactly the same issues as you regarding the restrictiveness of web design. It is really frustrating!

I've been advised to play on the side of caution with this site, as we actually have to build it. Looks like you've had the same thoughts!

I think you're designs are simplistic but strong. Creativity can be employed in many ways including the concept behind the branding of the site. Something which you've done extremely well.

I look forward to seeing your digitised versions.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Mark

I must admit I really do like your designs.

From your drawings I can almost see the finished product in my minds eye.

I know that the majority of the comments have revolved around this issue so I won't go on about it too much but the graphical content of the site may have an adverse affect on the global file size.

I look forward to seeing a digital version of your screen designs.

Shaun.ac

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.