Tuesday 22 January 2008

All problems have solutions; some are more expensive than others

I really enjoyed the class on Monday it was great to catch up with everyone again; I enjoyed it that much I am coming next week. It was not my intention to discuss points to consider and create a checklist, however I did find it useful. Following the Dreamweaver 8 Tutorial from Steve, I had a go at creating a feedback form and to my surprise it looked fine.

As a user of Dreamweaver MX 2004, completing even simple tasks have become problematic. Notes taken at lectures only support the latest version; therefore commands appear in different locations. Due to the increased demand for improved validation, Dreamweaver MX 2004 lacks the ability to create xhtml strict 1.0 easily. After deliberating over various options, to the point of altering my goals and choosing xhtml transitional over strict, I have no alternative but to purchase the latest software. Upgrading immediately should allow me the opportunity to start building my website and eleviate the frustrations that are suppressing my progress. “Would you believe it?”, before the new software can be accepted on to my computer, it requires the installation of a newer operating system. Thankfully I possess an external drive that will ensure a speedy backup facility and student discounts will make the software affordable.

I discovered to my disgust, Internet Explorer 6 and above no longer is available to download to a Macintosh computer. I believe, “every problem has a solution, this one will pressure me into testing through the browsers loaded on a PC”.

Besides my initial disappointment with the software, this week I have concentrated my efforts to ensure all the images are optimised, labelled with consideration to alt tags and saved in the root folder. My ultimate aim by next week is to make sure I have created a template that supports editable areas. Only when I have designed a template can I progress with the build.

I am sure the definition for frustration will be validation. I have heard a few people discussing problems and possible solutions that create new problems. A continuous nightmare of frustration lies ahead of me before I locate the strict code of righteousness.

My goals this week are to:
  1. Upload new operating system and software
  2. Ensure all images are optimised
  3. Download common browser to the pc
  4. Start building the site ready to create a template
  5. Printout all the Priority 1, single A compliancy to refer against
  6. Download the simple contact form (HND site and follow instructions as a guide)

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

It's a shame you've had to fork out unexpected money to upgrade your software. However, I reckon it'll probably be worth it in the long run- the more recent versions of Dreamweaver, are, I'm led to believe, much more compliant with w3c standards than previous versions.

Mark Torrington said...

You are right Tom, strict 1.0 is not an option in Dreamweaver 2004. Who knows in five years time their maybe another type of HTML language?.

In the meantime, this purchase will resolve my frustrations and allow me to create a website – fingers crossed!

Suzanne Hullah said...

"Forking out" for the software upgrade needed for you to complete A5 shows how commited you are to the course. But as Tom says, it'll be worth it in the long run. You'll be able to see the changes right away in the upgrade and therefore make your life easier.

John Browne said...

Hello Mark, having you in class for a whole day was a good thing and should be something that happens more often.

How did you manage to come across such old peices of software?.