Tuesday 29 January 2008

The optimising optimist

You are sadly mistaken if you thought since I have only the one assignment to do it should be nearly completed. I feel happy with my achievement over the past week, although I am a long way off before even my web template is completed. I seem to lack the ability to create small file sizes; therefore keeping under 50K per page is very challenging. After spending hours optimising images, I was astounded that my calculations were out by 17K. Hopefully, I will be able to amend the size of images without detracting from the overall aesthetics of my proposed screen design.

Progression with the assignment is steady. Enjoying the honeymoon period of optimisation at the moment, before confronting CSS. I anticipate I will have problems doing this, although what problems I will face I do not know. I maybe currently enjoying creating the website although this experience maybe short lived. I am sure I will run in to difficulties over the next few days but I have not experienced any just yet.

My targets to complete this week include:
  • Create a user-testing questionnaire to acquire feedback on usability
  • Create a series of CSS files that will affect the size of the typeface
  • Find out how to alter the size of text at a click of a button, CSS?
  • Try and complete the Website template

7 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Altering the size of text on a webpage can be done via the menu on the browser, usually under the 'view' toolbar - although not many people know this, so your idea of including stylesheets to do this is a great alternative.

Usability testing will raise any other problems that people may occur with your site that you've originally overlooked. Something we can all benefit from!

Tom Smith said...

Don't worry too much about the CSS, as it's just being used for typography and minimal other aspects on the assignment, it's not going to be massively complex. I hadn't used CSS up until the last couple of weeks, but haven't found it complicated at all so far!

James Bell said...

To alter the text size on your website you can use a small amount of JavaScript found here and this will be much easier than doing separate CSS style sheets for each font size.

John Browne said...

Your not alone. I for one have used Dreamweaver in the past but not to this form of standard. So far I have come across many difficulties during the build. These consist of the template, form validation and the colour of the links.

I resolved the template issues by including Editable Regions. These are ares that can be worked in, when the template is used to create another page.

Luckily I havent yet exceeded a 20k file size. The plan was to keep it under 50k. So far so good...

Michelle Bonfield said...

Just another comment to confirm you are definitely not alone! I too am taking longer than I anticipated with the website build. I guess it's a little frustrating in the sense that I'm used to being able to do things, so re-learning is an unfamiliar experience.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I finally am too. I guess the important thing to remember is every session we spend on Dreamweaver is a step closer to that ease and fluidity we're more accustomed to.

Mark Torrington said...

Thank you for all your comments; it is nice to know that we can learn from each others experiences. Although it was my initial intention to us CSS 2.1, I will try James’s suggestion of Dynamic CSS / Javascript. Utilising this will increase accessibility and solve my problem of finding a one-click solution to increase and decrease type sizes.

Craig Burgess said...

I don't think you really need to implement either of the features discussed - separate stylesheets or a javascript fix. Like Sue mentions, there is in-built features in a browser, so as long as you make all your font sizes relative i.e. ems or % then don't need to faff about with mutliple stylesheets for such a simple feature.

The people likely to want to change your font size will already know about the browser's ability to up-scale the fonts. Just focus on making the text size and type choice comfortable to begin with, and make sure your design has room to accommodate larger font sizes without it becoming unreadable.