Sunday 16 September 2007

“Jakob Nielson” a web designers arch nemesis!

Throughout the week I have gained knowledge about three of the eight targets from the first assignment and compiled my findings into the sketchbook. By evaluating my development I will use this blogger, this should help me establish factual details and creative inspiration to support my written report. Well, that’s the Plan!

I now realise the importance of the core process. Similar to the design process, the creation of an effective website is achievable when you empathise with your client’s aims and objectives, only then can you develop a realistic plan based on their budget, consideration of lead-time and design parameters.

Overwhelmed with the amount of consideration required to aid usability. I found it useful to read interviews/comments from “Jakob Nielson”. Some people refer to him as the Father of Usability. Others i.e. designers, in particular seem to see him as their arch nemesis. In my opinion, whilst I understand that the appearance is important to entice the audience, if usability is not considered frustration will occur. I really wanted to get my hands on a copy of one of his books this week, because I feel it may support findings for my next target on competitive analysis.

1 comment:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Mark,

Well written. Jakob Nielson, as you know is the center of much controversy. I have spent much of the day researching accessibility guidelines and sympathising with difficulties that many designers / developers are faced with.

Usability is becoming an ever more pressing issue; one which is of great interest to me both on a personal and professional level.

Keep up the good work.

--
Shaun Bellis
shaun@shaunbellis.co.uk