Saturday 8 September 2007

“Where I’ve come from, where I am now and where I’m going”

Sometimes you get asked the question, “Where do you see yourself in five years?”. Well five years ago I was single, living at home studying to become an ICT Tutor, while holding down a Graphic Design career. Five years previous to that, I was working in Rotherham at B&B Press, designing and coordinating digital pre-press work into litho production, with plans to travel around the world. I could never have imagined five years on, I would be married with one child and another one on the way; achieved management status and be a part-time FE ICT Tutor/ NVQ Assessor teaching: MS Office, Digital Camera’s and advanced Photoshop.

My decision to working in the print industry, rather than pursing a degree in Graphic Design allowed me the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in print theory and pre-press production. However, despite this valuable experience I have always regretted not continuing my studies and gaining a degree. I believe by advancing my design skills into web design will broaden my knowledge, increase my attractiveness to future employers, but above all will build the foundation for my future.

For a while now, I have been searching for the right course to accommodate my commitments. Finally, I found a course that I could attend on day release, or so I thought! Despite the refusal of day release my employer has reluctantly agreed to allow me to finish early on Monday's. During my initial meeting with the course tutor, I identified that to complete the course with such limited tuition had never been attempted. At the moment I feel apprehensive about what is expected from me, however I am enthusiastic to the challenge ahead.

The way I intend to make my future is by keeping focused and having a clear direction. I will be spending the rest of my life living in the future and I dream that one day I will own my own business.

Bring on the first assignment, Steve!

To quote: Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
Author: Ralph Waldo Emmerson

No comments: