Tuesday 13 November 2007

Back on track

Overall, I feel gratified with the results of my first assignment and enthusiastic that the new one can only be better now I have established a benchmark. To summarise the feedback I received yesterday, it was identified that:
  • Supplementary written analysis was required on the hosting comparisons;
  • My submission should have been in the correct order, (production schedule and timesheet’s behind the budget statement);
  • A Domain name with authenticity was a requirement;
  • Visual aids could have been used more effectively to represent type size options;
  • C.G.I and JavaScript should have been identified as assets;
  • I should have kept to just four robust goals;
  • The Blogger should not include personal details.
Until yesterday, I had only created a proposed production schedule, organised my personal website and associated email. I felt cheated last week due to the incidental sympathetic, yet sombre atmosphere that followed the results, which implicated directly on my lack of focus on the new assignment. As a result of these unforeseen circumstances, I am now a week behind schedule. I feel that by re-aligning a schedule to focus on at least five explanations of computer terminology a day should bring me back on track.

These are my targets for the week ahead:
  1. To research at least five terminologies a day - Recording all notes in sketchbook and summarise findings into 50 words;
  2. Post comments on fellow students bloggers (4 minimum), before midnight Friday;
  3. Research silver surfer statistics and chosen a couple of sites to start my competitive analysis;
  4. Collect images relating to some of the terminologies with full copyright permissions.

The following quotes will inspire me to achieve my future goals:

Lord Chesterfield
“Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose laziness and despondency make them give it up as unattainable”.

The British Army adage “the 6 Ps”
Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

4 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

I was just interested in the feedback you were given regarding blogger and ommiting personal information.

It provoked a slight cause of concern to myself, as I find it very difficult to write a completely dry, 'matter of fact' journal entry each week. I do understand why it should be that way. However, I have great difficulties detaching personal information in the reflection process.

Could you just expand on the given advice a little more please? Or perhaps Steve could you?

Anonymous said...

@ Mark. I've haven't heard the 6 'P's for ages - so apt, in a crude army-type way.

@Michelle. I asked Mark to try and avoid spilling over into personal/family issues. The journal is a piece of writing that has to concentrate on your learning experience. It's unhelpful from an assessor's point of view to have to 'pick' through an entry to find the relevant insight into your educational development.

More importantly, it's also a way of disciplining yourself that your 'work/college' and 'personal life' are separate things. That's an essential survival skill in our industry. It'll be of huge benefit to both yourself and your loved ones if you recognize, and manage, that separation.

In a practical sense, that means that 'work time' actually means 'work time'. You're happy because you can focus on your studies. 'Personal time' actually means 'personal time'. Your friends, family and loved ones are [okay, 'should be'] happy because they know they've got your full attention. That's also why I place such an emphasis on time planning.

If you think you'd benefit from another creative writing outlet, you could always establish a personal journal. At least a couple of the second years have - Craig Burgess and Julian, I think. It's not coursework, not assessable, and therefore can be done how and when you like.

Webomatic said...

Hi Mark

I like the quotation marks which inspire you, one I here allot is “Try and you can never fail”, I’m sure this has lots of hidden meaning to it, although I’m not even sure where the quote comes from. I think researching “Silver Surfers(SS)” is a good activity, there’s allot of information that is required for our sites, as far as I can make out the sites them selves will have to be simple, as some “Silver Surfers” are a bit inexperienced using the web. A good place for research on this matter is the “BBC”, they have allot of information on SS as well as video interviews with some.

Thanks, Martyn

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.