Tuesday 12 February 2008

I have no attributes

Through validation, I have definitely completed the third target I assigned myself from last week. At the last count 27 possible improvements were identified. The main problem seems to be missing attributes, that include bgcolor, width, cellpadding, and height. If anybody has any solutions to these problems feel free to offer possible useful references or advice.

On the plus side, I have managed to keep the page size under 50K with the use of a combination of .jpgs, .gifs and slicing the header into sections.

Impatiently, I am blundering my way through solving problems and creating others on the slow journey to validation. My enthusiasm is hampered by validation although not completely diminished. I have realised that by attempting to create a website using the ‘strict 1.0’ is quite a challenge, however by creating it should increase my understanding of coding.

Unfortunately, I can only upload a taster of my website but hopefully by the end of the week I will have completed it.




My targets to complete this week include:
  • Solve all validation problems with the web page before using as a template
  • Upload my website for testing
  • Identify possible improvements

5 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Hi Mark,

Like yourself, I am validating my website to XHTML Strict 1.0 and after some alterations I have managed to do this. If you need any help, don't hesitate to pop me an email.

Keep up the good work!

Suzanne Hullah said...

Email link didn't work.
My email address is suzanne@suzanne-hullah.co.uk.

Sorry about that!

Mark Torrington said...

I appreciate your support Suzanne, last night I managed to get 27 errors down to just 3. Many of these were size attributes.

If I don’t succeed I’ll drop you an email, thank you.

Webomatic said...

Hi Mark

I had the same problems with XHTML strict, most of mine was size however this made my template look bad after a few tries so i started it again validating it from the begining so far so good.

Remember that your charicter width has to be under 70, Suzanne helped me on this problem it can be solved using CSC and paragraph width settings 179PX worked fine for me.

Craig Burgess said...

I don't envy your mammoth task of making a table-based layout XHTML Strict, but it sounds like you're nearly there now.

Whilst CSS may be initially more complicated than laying websites out in tables you'll quickly find that websites are a lot easier to validate.