Wednesday 20 February 2008

I may be isolated, but at least I'm validated

Until recently, I have been unaffected by the isolation of working from home. Validation problems and recent notification from my web host confirming they offer no cgi service, means I will need to transfer my domain name after all. The system of the transferring will take a while; therefore I am now going to look into getting a domain name and web host again. I am now apprehensive that I will be able to complete this assignment in time.

Thanks to those of you who assisted me with the validation on Monday, however after Johns advice I started the whole website again. John advised me about how to layout html in an order way. Despite the temptation of validating the site as transitional, I decided to stick to the goals and try and validate the web page in strict considering my new knowledge of html.

Glad to say it passed strict html 1.0. I am so pleased with myself. The five-minute tutorial from John really helped me understand the layout and therefore I was able to identify when Dreamweaver added bits of unnecessary code.

Over the next few days I will have to research into web hosts that have cgi capabilities and purchase a new domain name. Any suggestions are welcome. I understand that many people have had problems with cgi and any advice would be appreciated, I could really do without any more problems.

4 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

That must be very frustrating having to find a new web host, myself and quite a few of the others on the course are using John’s web hosting, which has a very reasonable price and offers everything we need. If you contact John on admin@e68-hosting.com, he will be able to get you sorted in no time.

I’m not sure what problems everyone else had with the CGI script, but my problem was that when I uploaded the script it used a capital letter in the name. So when I tried the feedback form it couldn’t find the script, this then took me a few hours to work out the problem. But once I changed the name the script worked perfectly.

I’m glad you got the website to validate in Strict, it took some help from James and a lot of time to get mine to validate. But I was so happy once I saw it had passed and it was worth the extra time and effort.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Just a quick note of congratulations on validating in strict, you have my admiration!

In terms of web hosting I'd recommend John too. There's not many providers which can boast such a personal service!

Gary Benn said...

I’m sorry I couldn't help you more on Monday. HTML is something that is quite easy once you have picked it up and learnt it through experience but not so easy to teach. Especially working backwards trying to sort out the mess Dreamweaver put in.

One of the main problems with Dreamweaver is the fact it does not logically place the codes in an easy to read order.

Sorry to hear about your problems with CGI. I had allot of work to do as I have my own server and it didn’t have CGI or Pearl installed on it so I had to mess about installing the services before I could even start configuring the CGI script. I got there in the end!

If you are looking for quick, good, reliable and easy hosting; I’d speak to John. At least when problems do happen you have a face to talk to rather than someone at the other side of the world that doesn’t really know your needs.

p.s. Your design looks even better on screen than it did on paper. I'm jealous! Looking forward to seeing the finished thing!

John Browne said...

well done on the current work so far Mark and thankyou for the valuable comment on my journal entry.

May I suggest talking to John for web hosting?

I was one of the class who chose John's hosting and I have also completed the feedback form successfully. Along side that, I have not come across any problems during the time of hosting.