Wednesday 2 April 2008

Emit that logo

The principles of good logo design lecture on Monday, confirmed my understanding of logo design. Although I agreed with the majority of the principles discussed, I refute the idea that only good logos are based on triangles.

Listening to the ex-student Jonny Haynes (who is currently working at Technophobia) provided me with a further understanding of some of the technologies I should be learning, in order to become a fully conversant web designer. Crasyegg.com is something new to me that allows the web designer an opportunity to identify hotspots and possible link opportunities. Firebug is another useful add on that integrates with Firefox, to put a wealth of development tools on your browser. You can debug, monitor, edit CSS and HTML at your fingertips while you browse.

With the new assignment underway a new production schedule is required. Opting to choose both assignments will allow me the opportunity to achieve high grades. The basis of the assignment is to provide Emit with a series of design proposals that could be used to relaunch the re-release of its entire back catalogue.

This is my current production schedule:

Week 1
  • Research existing record labels (A1)
  • Redesign Emit logo (post initial designs on to blogger) to gain feedback
  • Download necessary templates posted on HND site
  • Create Indesign Template to include Barcodes, titles and other small text

Week 2
  • Develop three logos (must work as a silhouette) and post for evaluation
  • Consider different typefaces and colours (A1)

Week 3
  • Create corporate identity, letterhead, business card
    (three different alternative of stationery)
  • Corporate style guide
Week 4
  • Create advert for ‘The Wire’
  • Create Digipak
  • Evaluate and improve
  • Pre-flight
Week 5
  • Evaluate and improve
Week 6
  • Final Evaluation


Please vote for your favourite logo design from the sketches below:

7 comments:

John Browne said...

I see you have a strong plan of production. And it appears you have pages of logos just dying for some feedback. Are the numbered logos chosen by your self as the the most preffered by your self?

James Bell said...

Out the you have picked my favourite is number 1.

Although number 1 is my favourite I would really like to see more of your ideas as you appear to have pages and pages of design.

Mark Torrington said...

Yes JB. Out of all my initial doodles I just selected a handful. To tell you the truth I feel none of them work yet.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey Mark

You have some fantastic ideas here, as you have said there is still much work to be done to find 'the one' but from looking at your schedule of production, you have it all worked out.

JB has raised a good point, the other pages look like they are itching for feedback!

--
Keep up the great work

Shaun Bellis

Suzanne Hullah said...

Logo 1 appeals to me the most, it presents the recognisable shape that Steve mentioned in our lectures. The shape could be detacted from the text element and be used on its own as well as combined together. Therefore giving you more flexibility with the display of the logo.

Great designs there, some excellent ideas.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I'd personally like to see no.8 developed. I feel it has the most originality and presence.

Perhaps, even if the shapes became a little more abstract, the design would transform into a unique shape in its own right?

Gary Benn said...

I have to say logo one is the one that does it for me.

It is very dynamic and is quite strong when being reduced in size.

with regards to your comment about none of them working yet. I am feeling the same, I think this is somewhat to do with the black ink. The the subject we are designing for Black doesnt really do anything for it.

It somewhat stumps my creativity.